Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Meaningful Life Art Journal - FINISHED! - well almost

I've been working on this art journal for some time, I haven't been working on it constantly but it's been picked up and put back down quite a few times. I didn't start with a sketch on this one and ideas for it came in spurts. But I finally finished it this morning, well almost...
I love the cover and I'm pretty sure it is completed, I just can't get enough of antique brass. The cover is made with a piece from an antique carriage lantern, antique drawer pull, an old watch crystal, piece of an old doorknob, parts from an old pearl necklace for a clasp and an old rusty key. I used a little acrylic paint around the edges to make it pop.
All of the old photos in this journal are found photos or ones that have been given to me, they are not family but even though I don't know who they were I feel a connection with them because of the subjects, who they are with, and what they are doing.
 The pages may have a piece added here and there...
All of the pages are individually hand distress and grouped into six sections. Each section is bound together with hand dyed and distressed fibers and fabrics.
Each section has a collage with a vintage photo that includes old papers, paint, fibers, and hand drawing as well as a hand written caption detailing the parts of a meaningful life.
Every section has tags slipped in between it's pages at the top, each tag has a collage with old papers and paint and are ready to be written on.
I love this photo of the woman standing beside the jumping pack animal. The caption that came with it was "just before entering the black hills" which is where black hills gold comes from, hence the written caption "Live your dream."

I love how this journal turned out, it's got everything I need, lovely distressed and aged pages, rust, old fabric, old photos and all of those wonderful things that make me happy.

Hope you are having a Happy Day!

26 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

What a beautiful journal!! The cover is just fabulous and I love the distressed look of all the pages. You've given cast off photos a wonderful new life!

Suztats said...

That cover is fantastic! A strange collection of objects that somehow go together beautifully. Marvelous that you could see how they would fit together.

Charlene said...

I LOVE what you have done with this! The front cover is stunning. I love the color on the old brass. Sort of a patina look. And I also love the vintage images you have used. I have such a crummy family dynamic that I often adopt the people in the photos I find. Although, I do have many of my beloved Grandmother & Daddy. Keep up the great work/creating & thanks for sharing! Charlene

Marie De Marco said...

i love how your journal turned out TOO! an amazing mixture of textures and elements.
marie

nancarts said...

This journal is amazing! I love it. I am now on the look out for metal to use as a cover for journals. I love journaling and have several that I have filled, and I keep on going!
Thanks for sharing this and your ideas as well.

Smiles and Blessings,
Nancy

Gail said...

Stunning journal!!!!

Becca said...

What a lovely journal. The distressing and colors look great! I love the vintage photos too! I just made another fabric collage with a vintage photo of me and my Dad if you are interested in taking a peek!
Have a lovely day!

Netty said...

Oh wow Thespa this is terrific, love the distressed look and all the different textures. The front cover is unique. It can't help but bring you joy now and for years to come. Have a great week, Annette x

Createology said...

This is a Vintiquities HEIRLOOM and so very beautiful. You have created quite the treasure here. Happy memories...

Robin said...

WOW! I'm picking my jaw up off the floor! Your book is just stunning. Love your cover!!

FredaB said...

This journal is one of the best that I have seen. I love what you were able to do with all the pieces and end up with the fantastic cover.

Hugs

FredaB

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, Thespa! This is a work of art! It's gorgeous! It's truly ENcrusted! It's a WOW!
Hugs, Diane

Mollye said...

Oh you have inspired me tremendously to get back into my art room and create magic. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Peace....Mollye

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

Wow I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open ~
That is amazing !!

xoxo
Lori

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Thespa...this creation is GORGEOUS!!!! I'm in love with it...so many wonderful elements have been used to create such a beautiful piece of artwork. The messages you've incorporated make it even more beautiful!!!! hugs and love, Dawn

Sandy Navarro said...

WOW, Thespa! This is stunning! I love everything about it. I hope you're going to submit it for publication; how could they say no!

Auntie Cake said...

Thespa I am going to start saving my $$$ to fly you up here so I can have my very own creating session with you. You have no idea how many times I pick up my beautiful journal and just page through it. I am still in love.

Hope you are enjoying these last bits of summer. I imagine your kiddos are back at school We still have until the day after Labor Day, trying to cram it all in still!
Kate

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the brass cover as well as each of the pages. The colors you chose for the inside go so very well with the brass and the mix of paper, fibers, laces and fabrics is just awesome.
Hugs,
Julia

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Your journal is BREATHTAKING! What a gorgeous piece of art - and I love every lovely detail! Have a wonderful weekend! :)

Gaby Bee said...

This journal is absolutely stunning! Love especially that cover! Brilliant!

Dorthe said...

Your art boog is gorgeus,
so beautifull, in colors, and the writing on the pages,------just stunning.
The cover is a fantastic hold ,on this wonderfull pages of art.
Hugs, Dorthe

Cottage Panache said...

This journal is absolutely beautiful! Love your unique cover, not many could come up with such a clever ideas! Your talent just shines through your work.
Maureen

A Magical Whimsy said...

I absolutely LUUUV what you are doing with journals! I have seen artists either work in fabric and laces, or ALL rusty metals, but not combining BOTH. The acrylic paint around the edges on the cover and around the pages and the vintage laces, and photos really makes each page 'pop', like you said. It is fabulous!
Cheers!
You are an inspiration~
Teresa in California

Lucy said...

Discovered your blog recently. How amazing is your work!
Wishing I could touch and feel it, but my eyes are enjoying it anyway!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I recently signed
up for your Metal & Rust Tag
Journal at CREATE in Lisle, IL. I'm so excited to be going
and taking your workshop! I am already trying to gather
supplies for the event and I have a question about your supply list. You list a vintage/
antique drawer pull. In your photo it looks like the metal wraps
around to the back of the journal, does it? Also, does your journal have a
closure; it sort of looks like it where the key is hanging.
And one last question: Does the back of the old book
provide the back of the journal?
Sorry to have so many questions, just hoping to
create a lovely journal!

Unknown said...

Es uno de los álbumes mas bonitos que he visto, me encanto muchísimo.

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!