Sunday, February 7, 2010

Marie Mini Quilt, a Project, & Part of my Studio

This is the Marie Antoinette inspired mini quilt I did last weekend. The outline is an embroidery design that I made and will have for sale in my etsy shop soon for those of you who have embroidery machines or have access to them. So here there is proof that I don't always do darker artworks that contain some element of rust, LOL.

Did I say rust? This is a little project I made while playing with acrylic paint and using corn starch to get a unique texture. It was fun.

This is a portion of my work area, I like to have vintage photos where I can see them and be inspired. The hat is one a sweet gal sent me for a swap, and the tiara was the one I won for being Paper Crafts Magazine Stamping Royalty 2007, I found this electric candle at a thrift store, I love the old look of it, but it's amazingly bright, I nearly blinded myself the first time I turned it on expecting a dim little flicker bulb.
A few finished projects mixed here and there with fun stuff, I lucked out and found this complete set of vintage glass glitter at a yard sale for 25 cents! Score!
This little shelf is the top drawer out of an old trunk, it sits above my work desk (which is actually my great grandfathers jewelers bench)

7 comments:

Alexandra said...

Your collage is fantastic. G. Alexandra

Anonymous said...

Corn starch! Now that's clever! I was just reading on the Green Paper blog about a new metallic gold gesso and now I'm learning about corn starch.

Hmmm....you gals will have me messing in my studio making stuff like this when I should be WORKING! ;-)

Love the texture you created!

Diane

Auntie Cake said...

Wow! I love your work space. For sure it would be wonderful! And I am in love with all your latest projects. I am feeling some serious creativity lacking on my part here. That Marie mini quilt is to die for. And I enjoyed your sweet collage. I just bought a new box of cornstarch!
Kate

Lululiz said...

Ooh, Marie Antoinette is a very feminine piece, lovely!

Unknown said...

Such lovely treaures in your studio and the glitter bottles were a great find! I am loving how you used corn starch on your gorgeous piece!! Have a great week!

Sandy xox

Seth said...

The piece with the corn starch has such great depth and texture. Clever use of the material. And great, great studio shots. Very inspiring.

Textile and Stitch said...

Coming to visit you from OWOH, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad, I hope you're hanging in there. The book you found at the Flea Market is wonderful and I love your piece with the corn starch, very interesting idea and great results!

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!