Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Married Love -Vintage Mixed Media Collage & old buttons

In this house there lived a happy couple who married and then had a baby. 
This mixed media collage house will eventually have a third panel but I'm still gathering ephemera for it.

The June Couple
This was a long poem and I used two sections that I thought fit best with this page.
This collage all started when I found that old "Harper Hospital Sweet Feeding" card from 1947 and that baby photo at a flea market last year. I wanted to do a collage but didn't want it to be a single piece of artwork, I started with the idea of making a book but went to the idea of a three panel "screen".


Last weekend we went to my husbands family reunion, it was fun as usual although a bit sad too, there have been a lot of losses for them in the past few years.
Afterward we went to visit a friend who wasn't home but lives close to a big old flea market, the kind you wish you could find everyday. A huge building filled with lots of "old things". Not like the chintzy flea markets close to my home filled with overpriced crystal and glass of every shade. 
I only had a few dollars so I didn't go crazy but I did find a wonderful jar full of old buttons and my most recent favorite thing, vintage jewelry boxes.
On the drive home I went through the buttons in the jar and put my favorites in this little jewelry box. While organizing the buttons in the front seat of the car I look down and there is a bee on my chest trying to sting me! His little body going down, down, down over and over trying to get through my two layers of shirts, I freaked! Grabbed that button jar and used the lid to close him inside, Rodney immediately pulled the car over (he's allergic to bee stings) and I got out and opened the jar so the bee could fly away.
If I hadn't had that newly acquired jar of buttons I probably would have been stung.
There were lots rhinestone buttons which are my favorites and then I found the three. In the center on the top rack are three milk glass buttons covered with pearl paint and a transfer image of an American flag on them. I've never seen anything like them before. I LOVE THOSE! Truly unique! And there were 3! Score!

***I will be announcing the winners of my Hymnal Title Challenge this Friday. Thanks to all who entered. Good luck!***

11 comments:

Sherry said...

Your collage screens are just perfect! Your buttons and box were a great find - and lucky you had that jar to hand to deal with the bee!

Martina said...

Your work is just amazing. I love looking at your creations!!!

Scrap for Joy said...

Your collages took my breath away-they are magnificent!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Wonderful find, You must thank your friend for not being home that day. :)

Netty said...

Just wonderful work, terrific, love it. Great finds as well at the flea market, love your buttons. Annette x

sugar Creek said...

That's beautiful artwork and a lucky find on the buttons!

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh my gosh, Thespa, your collages are breathtaking!!! I am in awe! Fantastic...and I love your finds on your trip....
This weekend I was out looking for vintage jewelry for my pieces, but didn't find any--still looking! But luckily, I found amazing hand-tatted vintage lace....
Your work is astounding...I LOVE it!
HUGS,
Cindy Adkins
www.recoveryartist.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful collage, Thespa, and what a story about the bee!
Diane

Betzie said...

Wow, I love your work and new finds!!! I'm a button lover, come visit me today as I just posted some of mine.
Nice to meet you...lovely blog!
Betzie

Lynn Stevens said...

Oh my Gosh I am drooling over your collage! FAB-U-LOUS!!!!!
Good thing you had that jar, I hate bee stings!
Great find with all those buttons too! score!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I found your blog during WBC and came back to look further. I just took e old jewelry boxes to the goodwill, now that I see yours here I will have to go and buy them back and look for more. Why does it always happen when I get rid of something I want it back?
Debbie

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!