Friday, February 5, 2010

Playing "Dress" Up with Vintage Dress Forms

So there is a trend in my posts detailing the things I love and would like to have. My previous about old trunks led me to acquiring one this weekend. Maybe it's the fact that I put it out there into the universe, (ever heard of "The Secret"?) I don't put much stock in that but it's neat how things turn out sometimes. My other love, besides old trunks, is vintage dress forms. I've always wanted one of my own so very much, but have never been able to find one despite my frequenting the many flea markets and thrift stores in my area. Someday I'll find one though, someday. But for now I'll just have to admire the gorgeous ones I see online all the time like this one...
I found this darling thing on this post...
I think it's just wonderful, the full length beauty of it, how she decorated it, it's just yummy. You really need to go visit her post about this dress form. It used to be dark navy blue, she has a before and after pic.  And her blog is fascinating!

 
This little darling is all decked out in her soft see through layers. Love it!




I like this one too, it's simple and aged, just lovely.

  
This is the rusty "Queen". She's so beautiful in her own little way, with her pretty stand and her hip flared out. I like her just the way she is.



My sakes, I shall swoon! I love this dress form. It's so shabby and wonderful! I want, I want!


This one is a little harder to see but she is still wonderful!

 
Love how this one is decorated, and the chippy paint around the neck.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24749556@N08/2862407671/

 
And this one is just to make you smile!
Check out this blog  http://sandraevertson.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html She's got some great ideas about art. Love it!

  
She's so pretty in Pink!


I adore the way this dress form was altered with the old pages. Gorgeous!

Now I would really like to have one of these cardboard dress forms. If anyone has one or knows where I can find one, please let me know, any condition. This one I found here...


Hope you all had fun today, I would like to see your dress forms, or hear about your own searches, finds, deals. Leave me a comment.

And have a happy day!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that delicious dress form exibition! I have always wanted to have one of those too....I'll keep searching for one, and I know you will eventually find yours!

Beatiful post!

stop by and see me sometime..ciao!

Auntie Cake said...

Love all the dress forms, but I can't wait to see your new truck! And the story behind it... So cool that you know the history of it. I just know it will be so awesome! Have fun with it, and think of all of us while you enjoy it!
KAte

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi, just joined as a follower. Your dress form images are wonderful. I have two and would never part with them. they are getting harder and harder to find! And Oooohhh, I love your trunk and altered suitcase photos, ya got me here again!
Blessings,
Debra

Shell said...

Hi, I joined through the OWOH,,,,Great Mannies!
We have one at the shop I work at (Joyworks...just google that to see Jana's great store blog).
My dear and creative co-worker Rita decoupaged one with old pattern illustrations from 1956 in pastels. Too cute. I'll try and remember to take my camera and take a pic for you!!!

Shell
Thanks for sharing!

Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi!
It would be nice if you would put the right link under my dressform photo No.3 . http://www.flickr.com/photos/boxwoodcottage/504213995/in/set-72157603980980932/
I'm sure you didn't put the wrong link by purpose, don't worry, but I just want you to put it right. Thank you!
Carola

Anonymous said...

I love vintage dress forms and your post is great. Thank you for stopping by my blog!

Penelope said...

Ahh- I used to have one of those cardboard ones! A green one. I think she became garage sale fodder...

I have a big black dress form called 'big Jessie' (That's Scottish slang for 'fraidy cats). She was a terrible purple colour when I found her, and her shoulder was torn. But, a little cloth and glue and a tin of black paint made her all better.

'The Secret' is old news with good PR. Back when I was a uni student (loooong time ago) I read Creative Visualisation by Shakti Gawain. It's the same thing really, asking for what you want, and then getting it. I've had alot of stuff over the years purely by a combination of asking the universe and being positive. I'm a big fan of 'act like it's never in doubt, and the universe will sort you out.' :)

Anonymous said...

Thespa, these are all so much FUN! I wish I had room for one in my house! I'd settle for even a small one. Hmmm...better keep my eye out for a miniature!

Thanks for visiting my blog again today! :-)

Diane

DuhBe said...

Oh thank you for compiling all those dress forms into one place. I love them too. I found a vintage one in a local antique shop last week, but at $150 it was too rich for my blood.

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!