Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Tattered Layered Scarf & Gypsy Carpet Bag

Hi there everyone! I'm so excited to share a few projects with you today. 
First I want to show you the tattered layered scarf I made...
 I used antique lace, pieces of an old doily, gauze fabric, handmade rosettes, and that super loose weave fabric that you see was from a package of "creepy cloth" sold at walmart during halloween last year. (I had never seen it in tan before so I bought a bunch of packages for use in collage, love the texture)
 I love how it turned out. Can't wait to wear it out!

My Gypsy Carpet Bag is something that was inspired by Magnolia Pearl bags like the one below. 


This is my own design (below), I made the pattern for it, and couldn't be happier with the way it turned out.
I used several different kinds of upholstery fabric remnants, all with blue and brown. I lucked into some really great trim remnants that were just right. I'm still deciding what to put in the center of the vintage doily though, thinking about maybe a layered handmade flower pin or something similar.

 
I made it extra roomy because it will be my craft fair bag. I put snaps on the sides so it can go bigger and so it doesn't have to be huge at all times only when I need it to be, LOL.

I hope you are having a great week!

23 comments:

Robin said...

Your scarf is amazing, and that bag is to die for Thespa! I absolutely adore the trims and fabrics you used on that bag, and what a clever idea to use snaps for more space when needed. Have a wonderful week.

Hugs,
Robin

Outofmymind said...

ADORE them both! Great job!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love what you have created here. The scarf is beautiful and the purse WOW! I too like Magnolia Pearl's bags. Have you seen Daphne Nicole's bags they have that same look. Great job.
Deb

Emilie said...

Wow, so fantastic creations!
The scarf is beautiful with those laces.
And I really like the details on the bag. What a good idea to put snaps on the side, so it can go bigger whenever needed.

Have a nice week.
Greetings from FarfallaDK

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Hi
You have the most amazing talent. I am looking forward to my copy of Sew Somerset to arrive so I can see your art.
Wishes
Lynne Moncrieff

Ido said...

Absolutely love your creations!
Have a wonderful day!
XXXX Ido

Yvonne said...

Beautiful use of things normally thrown away. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on the necklace I made from your tutorial. It was fun to do and I get lots of comments on it. I would like to make another clasp for it, to make it easier to put on and off. Otherwise it is very unique. Love your work here.

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

GORGEOUS work! Both pieces are lovely!!!

Angela said...

The bag is so beautiful...the colors are awesome!

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

They are both fabulous! No wonder you were excited to share! Love, love, love them!

Suztats said...

Brilliant idea to create a bag that adjusts to your needs! Your scarf looks dreamy and romantic!

Jo said...

that bag is to die for!!!!

Margit said...

Nice bag, great job!

http://littlepearlatblogger.blogspot.com/

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

I love your gorgeous scarf, Thespa! The bag is beautiful too. You have used such pretty fabrics and fringes. I'm sure you'll attract attention when you wear it at the craft fair.
Hugs,
Julia

FredaB said...

Both the bag and the scarf are just gorgeous.

It was a great idea to pt snaps on the purse to enlarge when necessary. Great thinking.

Hugs

FredaB

FredaB said...

ps - I can see a large victorian type pin on the middle. Maybe rhinestones or colored stones.

Hugs

FredaB

Something Special said...

I have not visited for a while, and I must say that your new blog is beautiful and I everything I see. I am hosting a scrap stash swap over at Special paper projects. Come check it out if you have the time.

Anonymous said...

Thespa, GORGEOUS!!!!!! Both!
The scarf will be so elegant and you can really wear it with anything, even jeans!! And the bag...you'll get loads of comments when you use it!
Hugs, Diane

Pretty Ragged Threads said...

Beautiful scarf I love it and the purse is amazing. Thanks for sharing it.

Jackie

Barbara Jean said...

Love it! Great idea about snaps.

blessings
barbara jean

Lynn Stevens said...

Well Thespa, I see you have really gotten your muse back, WOW is all I can say!

Petunia said...

Seriously drooling now....love both the scarf and the bag. Your work is always amazing!

Kathy said...

BEAUTIFUL SCARF AND BAG. IF YOU LIKE MAGNOLIA PEARL INSPIRED BAGS, THEN CHECK OUT IZABELLAROSE.COM
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
-KATHY

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!