Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Poppies and Projects and free image too

I got a little mixed media collage done this weekend. As with most of my projects I may add more later. 
I used a piece of an old camera as the back ground and added crackle medium and "poppy orange" acrylic paint then added an antique postcard with the images of poppies on it. The metal circle around the word poppies was a piece from the old camera and I added an antique shoe buckle. Last I added Ranger's Tim Holtz Distress Stickles in Walnut Stain as accents. I love the Walnut Stain Distress Stickles because they remind me of the old glitter glass that was added around the edges of scenes on some old postcards. It's almost an identical look.

I found a few things at a yard sale Friday. Some old books with some cute illustrations like the one above form the 1930's. 
And I found a really old game. Couldn't tell you what game it was but it has the sweetest lithograph picture on the wooden panel that covers the box...
I picked up the game for $2, right in my price range. Apparently someone bought it at a flea market for $25 cause the tag was still inside the box. And as if the picture on the top wasn't enough, when I opened the box I found these...
Check out all those wonderful game pieces! Each one a a different color, a few that are pretty close but slightly different shade. I'm such a sucker for crowns. I plan to make a mold of these and cast them in Sculpey for use in jewelry and mixed media. I like using original vintage pieces in my artwork but these are just too brittle to use for much.  There were other pieces that were broken up. 

 We got some work done on the roof and I carried bundles of shingles upstairs with a little help from my brother in law Todd. Man are those heavy! My shoulders and legs are killing me! We got the old shingles torn off, yes I was up on the roof tearing away with my husband. We got the bad boards replaced and then we ran out of time. Tonight after a full day of work we will be putting on the new decking and putting down the tar paper. Tomorrow night we'll be putting new shingles on and praying we can get done before it rains this week! It's going to be a VERY long week but in the end it will all be worth it.

So what did you find/do this weekend?

Thanks for visiting and have a great day!

7 comments:

Createology said...

Your collage is very beautiful. What a find that game was with the crown pieces. Happy creating...

Lori said...

Wowza, this is absolutely beautiful! The poppies are GORGEOUS! Love how you used all the other elements together.

Debby said...

WOW!!! This is amazing, so gorgeous.
debby

Anonymous said...

Thespa, thank you, first of all, for the sweet print! Secondly....wow! I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the idea of using an old camera side for the background of your collage! What texture! And the hole is in the perfect place to balance the circle you added in the lower right-hand corner. This is just beautiful!!!
Diane

Heavens2Betsy said...

Your poppy piece is exquisite. I love that you've used part of an old camera in your work - my father has had a 50 yr long career as a photographer and all things photographic really resonate with me. Such a wonderful creative idea. And, your game pieces are a wonderful find.

Auntie Cake said...

Oh my word! I didn't do anything remotely close to what you did!!! I had a game on Saturday night, so our weekend was kind of centered around that. Love the game! Can't wait until you make the mold of the crowns. I saw molding medium/gel (whatever you call it) at Michael's and have always kept it in the back of my mind. Let me know how it works!

And I love your latest collage. So sweet! An old camera, huh? Where on earth do you find all your goodies? I need to live where you do!

Have a great day!
Kate

Laurie said...

Wow -- you found great stuff -- I'm jealous!

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!