Thursday, July 1, 2010

Creative process & Altered Mirror & free image

So lately I've been thinking...I've been doing a whole lot of thinking, got all kinds of creative thoughts floating around in my head. They won't stop, and when I get like this (which is most of the time, LOL) I start writing ideas down on paper. I jot and sketch and work things out. And when I get in a blind spot I look around, at magazines, online, my surroundings and draw inspiration from them.
After I think and jot and gather inspiration I start making, then I stop and think some more and hopefully finish a poject before the next wave takes me in a different direction.
What is your creative process?
Last weekend I was playing with stained glass. My plan was to put an edge on this mirror and add rub-ons and pretty flowers, but I forgot to rinse the flux off the mirror after I was done and when I came back to finish it the next day it had some wonderful rust looking spots showing through the mirror. I had seen this done with oven cleaner and thought I probably wouldn't try that because oven cleaner is just so nasty. But this is doable. So I brushed on more flux and left it, then scraped a little bit, added more flux, let it sit and scraped some more. After I removed as much of the mirror surface as I wanted I rinsed the mirror and dried it,  brushed gel medium over the back and added a page from an old German book. I like the way it shows through, then I added a rub-on and an image from a Sears catalog. I think it may need a little something extra to beef it up but that is just part of my process, I could find the perfect thing tomorrow or next year. We'll see how it goes.
And a free image for you. Isn't she cute!
Hope you have a great day!

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

How gorgeous!!!
Hello to my new sorority sister. Maybe some of your creativity will rub off on me:)
Suzanne

Netty said...

Simply gorgeous, love it. Annette x

Createology said...

Fabulous mirror. My creative process has many styles. Somehow ideas form and then I make things and sometimes they turn out fine and sometimes not. Happy creating...

Simply Debbie said...

I JUST DISCOVERED YOUR BLOG...WE ARE SORORITY SISTERS.
I WILL BE ADDING A COMMENT UNDER YOUR RUSH PROJECT AND I SIGNED UP TO FOLLOW YOUR BLOG.
THANK YOU FOR THE LOVELY IMAGE OF THE LITTLE GIRL. I LEARNED SOOOO VERY MUCH ABOUT ART JUST IN THIS FIRST POST. I LOVE YOUR BLOG AND I LOVE ART. MY BELOVED DAUGHTER WAS THE MOST AWESOME ARTIST BUT SHE IS IN HEAVEN NOW. I SEEM TO BE ESPECIALLY DRAWN TO MIXED MEDIA...I CAN DRAW FAIR BUT IT IS ALL THE LAYERING I LOVE.
THANKS AGAIN. YOU ARE AWESOME.
HUGS
SIMPLY DEBBIE

Sugar Lump Studios said...

I adore the piece you created and your vintage freebie is just darling! My creative process is very similar to your description. Sketching helps when my mind won't stop. Once (while assisting in the classroom and watching a movie) my mind wouldn't stop and I sketched probably 6 pages worth of ideas in the dark...but I have learned to do it while the idea is there. I don't know if I mentioned this before...but my Great Grandmother had the same last name is you! :) good name! Have a wonderful July 4th!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Oh, I just joined the Bloggerettes and came across your blog. Wonderful! I really like the glass mirror project you did!
Have a great afternoon!
Leticia

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!