Saturday, July 16, 2011

Great Grandma's Chiar - Almost Done!

 I'm almost done with the makeover on my great grandma's chair. This is the coat of white paint I dry brushed over the blue.

 White paint layer is done.


 Next I sanded different areas down so you can see the blue paint showing through and some of the wood showing through as well here and there.

 The next step was to brush on some stain and then wipe off imediately with a clean cloth. I used several tshirts worth for the whole chair.

 The next day after the stain was dry I started cutting the cushion foam to fit the seat and back. I put 2 layers down for the seat so it will be nice and comfy.

 Making sure I have enough of this coffee sack to cover everything.

 Now the batting which was also 2 layers. I just stapled it around all the edges.

 And then trimmed the excess off. Better to have too much than too little.

 Back and bottom batting in place.

 I then stapled part of the burlap coffee sack to the back.


 On the bottom I stapled part of a tshirt over the batting to make sure it doesn't pill and come through the burlap after a while of being used.

 Got the bottom stapled in place.
I think it turned out pretty good for my very first upholstery job. And it's also the first piece of furniture I've ever painted. I just love the internet. There are so many wonderful people sharing what they know how to do with us. It made my chair makeover possible.
Now all I have to do is find some trim that I like to cover the staples and make the sack I'm going to hang from the arms to hold magazines.
And there will probably be a cutesy pillow along the back too.
:)

8 comments:

Kathy McElroy said...

How gorgeous. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Oh Thespoena! I came over to visit for the blogger tour but there is no way I could pass up this post! As if the chair isn't special enough having belonged to your great grandmother, you just elevated the thing to sainthood! I absolutely ADORE your choices in refinishing this piece. It turned out gorgeous. Can't believe it is your first time ever having done this...well done! Xo, Sue

Unknown said...

WOW! You did a grand job. Love the burlap sack that you used perfectly matching the blue peeking thru from your sanding! Thanx for sharing! Tiff

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I can't believe this is your first time painting or upholstering because it looks like a real professional job. I love the chair color and the grain sack for the fabric. It's so lovely.

hugs
Sissie

Unknown said...

You did a wonderful job !

Gail said...

What a special piece! Great job, makes me want to give it a try!

Unknown said...

I love the colors and the coffee sack backing! Great job!

Penelope said...

Fantastic job- you've got me thinking about all those chair's in my Dad's shed that hang seatless from the walls...

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!