Thursday, October 6, 2011

Paint And Stencil a Wood Floor Finishing Up

In my LAST POST I showed you the first 4 steps of painting and stenciling my wood floor in my studio.

 Step 5: After the spray paint from the old lace tablecloth stencil had dried I wiped on Minwax wood stain with an applicator sponge and then quickly wiped it off with a soft cloth. Making sure to work in small areas, wiping on and wiping off before moving along.

 Step 6: I gave the stain 24 hours to dry and then got to work brushing on a coat of Minwax oil based Polyurethane.  (It is recomended that you put down at least 2 coats of polyurethane to seal a floor, but I'm going for an aged worn look so a little wear sooner, rather than later isn't going to bother me at all) I let this layer dry for 8 hours before walking on it and I'm waiting several days for it to cure completely before I move furniture into the space.  (don't want my furniture sticking permanently to the floor)
 My completed, aged, pretty floor stencil. Using the old lace table cloth was very rewarding, the design is beautiful and I was able to give the old lace a new use. This floor isn't perfect, it's not meant to be, it's simply a way to add the style that I want to the recycled materials I had on hand.

Now to finish the baseboards, put up a little trim here and there, hang my shelves over my work bench and MOVE IN! YEAH!!!!
!!!!!!Finally!!!!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

wow..just stunning!

Createology said...

Your floor is spectacular. Happy curing and moving in...

Diane Mars said...

Oh just perfect! I love it! Job well done. Hugs, Diane

E Makes Art said...

Oh, beautiful floor!! I've used the spray painting through lace trick several times on walls... so pretty! I've never thought of using it on a floor. Brilliant! Can't wait to see your studio all put together, I know it's going to be inspiring!

i wanted to thank you for your sweet comment regarding our grandfather. And you mentioned coming over and making art together.... umm... YES!!! If only we were neighbors!! That would be amazing, I would love to work beside you.. maybe one day... somehow... :-)

xoEsther

Wanda Maria said...

Thespa - This looks awesome! Your studio is really coming along and it looks great!

One more week until the craft shows! Can't wait!!! I'll give you a call this weekend so we can make our plans. :)

Auntie Cake said...

It's beautiful! I love it! Can't wait until you move in completely. Hope you are all doing well. We have been swamped with school and sports but are having the most beautiful fall.

Have a great weekend,
Kate

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, that lace stencil design turned out really well! you've got such an amazing floor!

Upcoming events...

I have some VERY Exciting news to share soon. Can't wait to spill the beans!